Thursday, September 22, 2005

REFLECTIONS ON A PICKLE JAR

I got one of those inspirational emails yesterday entitled: The Pickle Jar, which tells the story of how the writer's father took care of his future by saving small change which he placed inside a pickle jar. When he was put through college,the pickle jar which served its purpose disappeared from its usual place. The writer eventually got married and had a daughter,and one day at his parent's home he found the pickle jar back where it was,filled with coins.

It was his turn now to start filling it up.

Although we never had a pickle jar, I knew that Dad took it upon himself to provide for the future of all of us,his seven kids, the best way that he could. With his meager Army man's salary it is a wonder he achieved what he did.Well, of course, with a lot of help from Mom who budgetted the money.

We were never poor,nor were we deprived of the occasional luxuries in life either. But I know now that both Dad and Mom must have sacrificed a lot themselves, denied themselves of some luxury they would have wished so they would have the money to ensure our education, and with it, our future.

I don't really envy those who have the money so much so that they can travel to other countries frequently. Actually, I have the money! But I guess compared to ensuring my kids future, the luxury of travelling and vacationing takes the back seat.

Am I a less fulfilled man because of having denied myself these experiences? I don't think so.

As a wise woman told me once upon a time:"If it is God's will...it will happen."

There will be a time and a place for indulging in dreams and fantasies...but for now,it's time to fill up the pickle jar.

No comments: