Monday, September 26, 2005

CREATIVITY TRIPPING

I've taken a renewed interest in drawing comics because of the project I'm working on for the 34th anniversary of my San Beda batchmates. The souvenir program which I'm supposed to do should look like a comic book, so I've been browsing through websites featuring Marvel Comic book covers which I still consider the best,(especially those done by my idol Jack Kirby,) hoping to get some inspiration from these masterpieces of cover art.

It seems this effort has had a pleasant side -effect! I found myself thinking up and doodling cover options and content for the program. I've also been daydreaming a lot of fantasy stories (the adult comedy and horror-fantasy type) which I've sketched on paper.

Yesterday, while walking along SM Megamall I found myself looking at people and concocting in my mind, stories of what could possible be going through their heads based on the expressions on their faces. For instance, I imagined that one guy who had a worried look on his face may have been late for an appointment...with a client?with a lover? One housewife-looking type must be thinking about where she was going to get money for expenses of her kids.

This went on as I passed by people. Made me realize there really is a wealth of stories around if you can just imagine them.

As a result of that creative trip I came up with story ideas. One which hit me while I was passing the video game center was about two teens who get sucked up in the video game they're playing and find themselves actually shooting live bullets at the enemy. Another (adult fantasy story) idea was about two sweethearts who snuck up in the moviehouse and have sex there not realizing they are being videotaped.They find their fotos at the marquee the following week as the double-feature.

When I returned to the office I hit on another idea: a designer of Magic cards falls asleep and his faerie creations walk out of his laptop. He has some wild hanky-panky with the faerie until she turns him into a creature that appears in the next Magic card edition.

Maybe I can make some money out of this...but just the exhiliration from the brief creative journey was a reward by itself.

No comments: