Friday, March 16, 2007

THE SAVING POWER OF INSIGHT:OR HOW I SAW THE BRIGHT SIDE OF A BAD SITUATION

My Mazda Familia has been in and out of the shop lately for repairs. The latest,which cost me 47,000 involved a major overhaul of the engine, requiring a change of all valves etc. This was after it had undergone repair whcih cost me 23,000,when the timing belt broke while Jaja was on the way to Pampanga. Prior to that I shelled out 27,000 to replace the throttle body which was the cause of erratic idling.

Recently, the erratic idling showed up again and when I returned it to the shop they diagnosed the problem to be caused by the throttle body which they said was defective in the first place. Now, I'm in a dilemma because the supplier can always claim that he had put in a new unit last December and that any damage that may have occurred could not have been because of his spare part.

Bottomline is I face the prospect of spending more money just to get the car fixed!

Normally, I would be distressed,but surprisingly I found solace in an insight...what I will call my education in entrepreneurship. I've really been visualizing myself as a businessman and one of my "Aha's" was that if I was going to be one I better learn how to part with money (i.e.,lose it). I also ought to realize that each disappointment should be regarded as a learning experience.

Looking at my " car problem" experience under this light, I rationalized that,yes, I will be throwing away some money but at least I got to feel firsthand how it is to bounce back quickly from an upsetting situation.

No comments: