Tuesday, March 20, 2007

FINALLY...I KNOW WHAT GOLF IS ALL ABOUT

I went to the Kagitingan driving range last night to practice in preparation for our golf get together on Friday. After not having touched my clubs for more than a year,I felt awkward and concerned that rather than help me, the practice might even make things worse.

But after I went through the basics and started hitting the ball well, I started gaining more confidence. Then I had an insight.

I often heard golf commentators talk of how well-balanced great golfers were after they hit the ball. So I worked on setting up properly and aiming for balance whenever I hit the ball.

Voila! I struck the balls more squarely.

Then I focused on slowing down my takeaway and finishing my backswing so I was in good balance from the backswing to the downswing. I started hitting the balls more consistently.

Good balance and a slow backswing allowed my head to keep still and also help me make a better turn.

Then, I told myself make things more effortless so that I wasn't putting a lot of muscle on the downswing. I started hitting the balls pure and didn't get any jarring feelings on my hands!

It was as if I had learned what golf was all about in that one practice session.

BALANCE. SLOW BUT SURE. EFFORTLESS

No comments: