Friday, June 03, 2011

DAY 3: CAN I REALLY LIVE ON MY PASSION ALONE? (OR DO ARTISTS REALLY NEED TO STARVE?)



It's been six months since I left a cushy,good-paying consultant job at a leading company. I've resisted the temptation to go back to my former corporate job in order to hone my skills in drawing and writing funny stories (aka comics.)

I've made progress in the drawing and illustrating part...in fact I've learned a lot! My comic strips are now colored and show some command of Photoshop which I didn't have six months ago.

But...it hasn't brought in money to feed my family and pay the bills...yet.

And at the rate I'm going I'm not sure what will happen first...either I run out of funds and have to go back to the cubicle world...or I get a break and start making money from pursuing my passion and never have to go back to a 9 to 5 job again.

I'd like the latter to happen of course, and eventually be able to tell others...and maybe help other dreaming artists like me to "not starve" while achieving the happiness we get from being creative!


No comments: