Friday, February 18, 2011

TAKING A LEAVE... IN ORDER TO LIVE: WHY WE SHOULDN'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS

I had just come from the second floor restroom at the Podium when I saw an Asian man (Korean,I thought to myself) rushing out of the Banana Leaf resto. Following closely behind was his girlfriend (I thought,because she was younger and didn't look like his wife) who seemed like she was pleading to him about something.

As the two made their way down the escalator, a supervisor from Banana Leaf (I thought because he was dressed like one) hurriedly tried to catchup with them. But seconds later, one of the waitresses arrived holding some receipts which she showed the supervisor. When he saw these, he seemed to pause for a while then gave up the chase.

Judging from what I saw,I told myself:" The Korean couple must've gotten away with a free meal. Maybe the supervisor didn't want to make a scene so he didn't call security."

I saw the Korean couple later and they still seemed to be arguing.

I forgot about the incident until the next day, I found myself at Banana Leaf eating lunch with my wife Jaja, and her officemates. It so happened that the waitress who served us was the same waitress I had seen the day before. So I asked her what the story was, because I had concluded that the Korean couple had pulled a fast one on them.

On the contrary,she said, the couple had paid their bill.

As it turned out, the man seemed to have had an argument with the girl even before they had started to eat. He must've been upset because,according to the waitress, he got up, went to the cashier and paid the bill and didn't even wait for the change!

The reason the supervisor went after them was to check if they were still going to eat the untouched food (which had cost about P 3K), and the reason she followed with the receipts was to tell her supervisor that they still had unclaimed change!

When we heard the real story, we had a good laugh over lunch. And as a way of livening up the meal, the girls started making up scenarios why the couple had an argument in the first place.

For example, one said that maybe the girl wanted Brown rice but the guy ordered for Nasi Goreng...that's when the fight started.

Moral lesson: "Don't judge me...I'm not a book!" (Melanie Marquez) :-)

No comments: