Monday, February 14, 2011

TAKING A LEAVE... IN ORDER TO LIVE: Things I've Learned

Some things I learned one month into my free fall into a life without a net...

1. Even if you try to run away from your profession, it somehow runs after you. - Just several weeks after my contract ended,I was back in action conducting a Teambuilding session for a Regional Business Unit of Chowking (North Luzon.) Two weeks after that I was contracted to do targetted interviews of applicants for the Peace Equity Foundation.

2. There are many backpacking consultants like me scattered all over the place. They usually hang out at Starbucks where you can hold meetings for hours for the price of a tall java (and the Starbucks crew don't seem to mind.) I discovered that the Starbucks beside the Makati Stock Exchange has one of the cleanest restrooms. And at the Starbucks Anson's along ADB Avenue, you can access the free WiFi from Podium.

3. The 4th floor lounge at the Podium is an ideal office if you are into backpacking consultancy. I jokingly call it my posh office. Imagine,I've got airconditioning, security, P45 all day parking, clean restrooms, free WiFi, piped-in music and a lot of eating places to choose from. I usually kill time in the afternoon at Cinnabon because for P 75, you have a humongous cup of coffee that can last you 3 hours. And if you're in need of a good foot massage, you can go down to Lotus at Basement 1.

4. There's a quick route to the SM Megamall Chapel via the Healthway Clinic. Jaja's been using this shortcut for ages and it's a wonder the security and elevator boys don't suspect she's just been using their facilities to go to Mass. Actually, this has been one of the greatest fringe benefits of my freelancing...I get a chance to have coffee, lunch and Mass with my wife!!!

5. Never try to ride the MRT at rush hour! (5:00 PM onwards) We tried once to go to Quezon Avenue via the MRT for a meeting,but the coaches were all jammed with people, we couldn't get in without getting squished.

There's just an abundance of LIFE out there...I guess one just has to change one's perspective in order to see it!

No comments: