Monday, February 26, 2007

Big I and small i innovation

Read an article at Knowledge@Wharton which presented a challenge both big and small businesses have to face:Innovation.

Basically,it said that to spur "organic" growth,companies must think about innovating both at the Big "I" and small "i" levels. Big I refers to radical innovation, a "breakthrough" or breaking away from what the organization is currently doing.(As in addressing a new market or unfamiliar territory.Example given,McDonald's foray into the pizza market,for which it had no expertise.) Small "i" refers to improvements in products and services by way of features,add-ons etc.,to respond to customer demands.

The article goes on to show that big businesses tend to be risk averse and shy away from Big I innovation because often the profitable returns on these initiatives are long term,while investors are looking for quick returns. It cites GE as an example of a company that has managed around this problem by requiring its SBU heads to come up with 3 Breakthrough Ideas which must be delivered.

Thinking about this I notice that at Chowking we have tended towards small i.We have yet to go to Big I innovation (e.g. i can think of: spinning off the catering business,coming up with an upscale brand to compete with Super Bowl and casual dine concepts)

But I also agree with one comment on the article.We should not really separate the two because for all we know the continuous samll i activities may be the ones that will trigger Big I.

No comments: