Wednesday, August 30, 2006

LIVING WITH ONE'S LIMITATIONS

I just got my lab test results. The 2-D Echo and Holter Monitor results validate that there is something definitely wrong with my heart. I have atrial fibrillation according to the Holter monitor findings and the echocardiogram said I have ventricular hypertrophy. I had to look these up in the internet to understand what was going on inside my body.

In a nutshell,my heart is beating irregularly and the danger with this,at least in my case, is that some blood may not be pumped out of the atrium. This blood may coagulate and form clots which if dislodged may be transported to the brain and cause what is known as an embolic stroke. One treatment for this is to give medication (warfarin aka Coumadin) that will help thin the blood so that clotting does not form.

Now as to why I had this condition in the first place I don't really know. I have engaged in regular exercise, I have controlled my intake of "bad-for-the-heart" food and I can say I am not under any form of stress, and yet this happened.

So I guess this is one of life's surprises for me!

It's just another one of those events that makes me realize my limitations and maybe challenges me to still live fully in spite of these.After all, I did not wish for this.

One positive thing has already come out of this...I got to review my basic anatomy and are more familiar with terms related to the heart's functions! I sort of understand what I'm up against...and as the GI Joe slogan goes..."Knowing is half the battle!"

I also know for sure that the Good Lord wants me to slow down and enjoy life! Thanks to my seminary training I realize I've been programmed to rush through life so as not to waste time.

Maybe this is the Lord's way of giving me a much needed break!

No comments: