Monday, August 20, 2007

PATTING OUR KIDS' BACK:SOMETHING WE OFTEN FORGET

I happened to catch Oprah on TV last night. She had a recognition program entitled "Cheers To You" where she recognized people who were doing extraordinary things for their fellowmen and yet were not getting any applause for it.

One of these was Debbe, who launched Project Cuddles. This was a home for infants who were being put up for adoption by their mothers who could no longer take care of them. In the past 10 years of her project,Debbe had saved about 570 babies.

I thought it was good that Oprah was around to recognize people like Debbe. While I was reflecting on this I realized that everyday people around me were probably doing a lot of good things and yet these were going unnoticed.

Then I got an insight. My kids!

Jaja and I tend to focus more on their shortcomings...the low scores they get on their test...the projects they did not submit...the things they failed to do. When I tried thinking about the time I last praised my kids I couldn't recall having done it.

Maybe it is something I take for granted,i.e. my kids needing praise even for the little things they may have done right, because growing up as an achiever, I always thought my success was my own reward. I didn't need to be given a pat on the back because for me it was expected that I perform well in whatever undertaking I did.

But maybe my kids are different. (with the exception of Tasha,who has been achieving a lot in the field of gymnastics.) Maybe,things would be better for them if I learned to appreciate them more and look for things to praise...rather than for faults to harangue them about!

No comments: