Friday, May 05, 2006

THE MYSTERY OF MEMORY

There he was at the hallway talking to some Marketing Officers of Greenwich while members of his Creative staff waited by the elevator.

I recognized the big eyes and the features. He caught sight of me but apparently didn't show any signs of recognition.

He was Ramon "Mon" Jimenez, now President of Jimenez Basic,one of our ad agencies, and a classmate of mine back in kindergarten.

It's strange how the memory recalls pictures of the past. The only memory I have of Mon is him wearing one of the SBC caps sold in our bookstore holding a hotdog in one hand and a bottle of Coke in the other! Maybe the reason I remember him was because he told me how much that hotdog and Coke cost.

Back in kindergarten I only had 25 centavos for my baon,and since I was rather shy, I didn't want to buy stuff at the canteen fearing I wouldn't know how to count change or afraid I wouldn't really have enough money.

When I learned from Mon that the hotdog and Coke combination cost 25 centavos, I was able to pluck up enough courage to buy these over the counter.

I never saw Mon after kinder. This was the first time I've seen him...after about 46 years! But what an amazing flashback it brought.

No comments: