Thursday, April 20, 2006

FEEL GOOD MOVIES FOR "NOT FEEL SO GOOD" DAYS

I had a bad case of the flu during the past three days. It wasn't so much the pain in the joints that bothered me. What I couldn't stand were the recurring,head-splitting headaches that prevented me from getting a much needed rest. Good thing was that a dose of paracetamol provided me with relief.

The only other thing I could do besides eat,sleep and pee,was to watch TV. Fortunately,there were some "feel good" movies on the tube that helped me make it through the 3 day ordeal.

One feature on the Hallmark Channel was "The Magic of Ordinary Days." Set against the background of World War Two,the story was about Livy,a pretty,educated single and pregnant woman who got herself in a marriage of convenience to Ray Singleton,a simple farmer,who agreed to the arrangment because he believed it was God's will. Livy,who was city bred and raised,gradually finds herself being drawn into and loving the simple country life. She meets and befriends two Japanese-Americans who are working Ray's farm and gets to know about their butterfly-watching hobby.

All this time,Livy has been sending letters to the father of her child,an Air Force instructor. Ray finds out about it toward the end o f the film and professes that he has fallen in love with her and wants her to stay. He gives her a ring...something he wasn't able to do,when they got married and she accepts.

The other feel good movie I saw was Big Fish. It reminded me of the 4 Antiques,specially Uncle Peds who was well known for his fish stories. It made me appreciate that I belonged to a family of storytellers,who, in their effort to make history interesting by embellishing the details, were somehow in fact,telling reality as it was!

No comments: