Friday, January 18, 2008

SOMEONE'S DOING THINGS RIGHT @LTO PASIG

I renewed my driver's license last Thursday (Jan. 17) and I was impressed with what I experienced.

I arrived at LTO, Pasig branch at around 7:10 AM and there were employees at the windows already although officially they didn't open till 8 AM.

I approached Window 1 and the lady there,who was just getting settled, got my old license, gave me a form and directed me to the drug testing center. She warned me not to deal with the "fixers" who supposedly lingered nearby.

At the Halili Drug Testing Center I had to wait a bit as the aides there were just opening shop. The guy at the counter though gave me a form to fill out and got my payment (P 250.00) When the lab was ready I was first in line to give a urine sample.

My problem was,the bottle had to be filled to the brim but I could just manage half (since I had already peed some minutes ago.) The aide there suggested I drink some water then just come back when I was ready.

I did as he suggested and after downing a small bottle of water, psyched myself to performance level. However, on my next attempt I still couldn't fill it up. So the aide said: "OK na 'yan, sir. Maabala ka pa." Although I wished he had told me earlier,still I was impressed he was willing to make an exception.

Out of curiosity,I asked him if they really detected drug users and he asked me;"Ilan taon na po kayo,sir"

I told him "53" but was puzzled.

"Sir, nung makalawa may 45 anyos..tumitira pa!" There was my answer.

The health check up was next,but this was merely an eye check up. The med student who was apparently assisting the Health Officer busily signing papers, asked me to read Line#8 of the eye chart. I did so quickly and I was out of there in 3 minutes.

After I handed my papers to the lady back at Window 1, I waited about 5 minutes and my name was called at Window B for a digital photo. A pose...a click of the digicam...signature on the electronic pad and it was over. I was told to wait at window 9.

While waiting to be called I witnessed something that spoke a lot about the way things were being run at this LTO branch.

One fellow sat on one of the chairs beside me and it gave in so he almost fell backwards. The aides who saw this quickly asked the people seated on the bench to stand up as they replaced the defective unit! You would expect they would just leave things be....but no, they corrected the problem.

I also noticed there was a system being followed here. The cashier at Window 9 took care of all pending motor vehicle transactions first, then at around 9 AM, all of us who applied for licenses or license renewal lined up at the License window and she went over and took care of our payments.

Within 2 hours, I got my license renewed!

Maybe what is impressive is that 3 years ago, when I renewed my license at this same branch, they did just a good a job as now. So they have been consistent...and in the Philippines being consistent is hard to find.

So kudos to you LTO Pasig hief,whoever you are!

No comments: